Populating Notes field from Cascading Dropdown Selections

 Computer, Sharepoint, Software  Comments Off on Populating Notes field from Cascading Dropdown Selections
Apr 302012
 

This was a solution I figured out for populating a notes field from cascading drop-downs. I’ve had some folks e-mail me asking for the actual implementation.

In my scenario, I was creating a Sharepoint form front-end that would create an Incident Ticket in BMC Remedy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here’s what I did.

1. Created an initial Sharepoint list (this was for the first drop-down) where a user selected a top-level category for tech help. This was a one colum list with just “Title” that looked like this:

Hardware Failure
Install Software
Password Reset
Service Request

2. Created a second Sharepoint list (this was for the second drop-down) Based on the selection above, I display sub-categories. This list had 2 columns; Title, SumCat. SumCat matches Title from 1st list.

So based on above it looked like this:

Audio Conference Request, Service Request
Video Conference Request, Service Request
PC Bluescreen, Hardware Failure
Blackberry Broken, Hardware Failure

3. Created a third Sharepoint list (this is what populates the Notes field). Based on second-drop down, look up questions to help a tech know what the problem is.

This had two columns, Title, Body. Title matches Title column in 2nd list.

For example:

Audio Conference Request, then the Body column had this text.
Conference Name:
Host Name:
Host Phone:
Date:
Duration:
# of lines:

When the notes field is populated; users would enter the relevant information: See screenshot above.

4. Created a 4th Sharepoint list that holds the actual requests.

The columns are Category (lookup on 1st list), Summary (lookup on 2nd list), Notes (Multiple lines of text), OtherID (person or group).

Here’s the script; this was placed under PlaceHolderMain on the NewForm.aspx

<script language=”javascript” type=”text/javascript” src=”jquery.js”></script>
<script language=”javascript” type=”text/javascript” src=”jquery.SPServices-0.5.4.js”></script>
<script type=”text/javascript” language=”javascript”>

$(document).ready(function() {
// alert(‘Working!’);

$().SPServices.SPCascadeDropdowns({
relationshipList: “RC_Summary”,
relationshipListParentColumn: “SumCat”,
relationshipListChildColumn: “Title”,
parentColumn: “Category”,
childColumn: “Summary”,
debug: true

});

$().SPServices.SPDisplayRelatedInfo({
columnName: “Summary”,
relatedList: “RC_Notes”,
relatedListColumn: “Title”,
relatedColumns: [“Body”],
displayFormat: “notes”,
childColumn: “Notes”,
debug: true
});

});
</script>
<script language=”javascript” type=”text/javascript” >
function PreSaveAction() {
// alert(“PreSave”);
$(“input[name^=’fileupload’]”).each(function() {
if ($(this).val() != “”) {
// alert($(this).val());
var fpath = $(this).val();
var m = fpath.match(/(.*)[/\]([^/\]+.w+)$/);

// alert(m[2]);

$().SPServices({
operation: “UpdateListItems”,
async: false,
listName: “WorkInfo”,
updates: “<Batch OnError=’Continue’ PreCalc=’TRUE’>” +
“<Method ID=’1′ Cmd=’New’>” +
“<Field Name=’Title’>” + m[2] + “</Field>” +
“</Method>” +
“</Batch>”,
completefunc: function(xData, Status) {
// alert(“Status=” + Status + ” XML=” + xData.responseXML.xml);
}
});
// return true;

}
});
return true;
}</script>

I also created a new ‘CASE’ for SPDisplayRelatedInfo for the SPServices library. Note: This is hardcoded to look for a multiline textbox named “Notes”

// append to Notes field
case “notes”:
var outString = “Please provide supporting information:”; // This does display on page load
// Get relevant Notes from relatedlist

for (i=0; i < opt.relatedColumns.length; i++) {
$(xData.responseXML).find(“[nodeName=z:row]”).each(function() {

// outString += “* ” + relatedColumnsXML[i].attr(“DisplayName”) + ” *”;
outString += “* ” + showColumn(relatedColumnsXML[i], $(this).attr(“ows_” + opt.relatedColumns[i]), opt) + ” *”;

});
}

// alert(outString); Debugging

setTextFromFieldName(“Notes”, “” + outString + “”);

break;

// end of new ‘CASE’

At the end of the jquery.SPServices.js, I have added the following functions:

// Find the Notes field
function setTextFromFieldName(fieldName, value) {
if (value == undefined) return;
// alert(value);
var theTextBox = getTagFromIdentifierAndTitle(“textarea”,””,fieldName);theTextBox.value=value
}

function getTagFromIdentifierAndTitle(tagName, identifier, title) {

var len = identifier.length;

var tags = document.getElementsByTagName(tagName);

for (var i=0; i < tags.length; i++) {

var tempString = tags[i].id;

if (tags[i].title == title && (identifier == “” || tempString.indexOf(identifier) == tempString.length – len)) {

return tags[i];

}

}

return null;

}

// End of new functions